Apply for a New Trade Internet Permit
Mecklenburg County requires contractors to have a permit for certain projects and
it has provided this website to make that an easy online process. The benefits of
obtaining a permit from this website are:
- The primary contractor may submit, pay for, and print a permit for projects such
as change-outs, without staff intervention, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Primary contractor should apply and pay for all sub-trades. Mechanical contractor
is considered to be the primary contractor when the project requires Mechanical,
Electrical & Plumbing work. Plumbing contractor is the primary contractor for electric
water heater change-outs. Electrical may be the primary only on projects not requiring
mechanical or plumbing work, such as a service upgrade.
- Upon completing the on-line process, a contractor can immediately request inspections
as soon as the work is performed. The county will send certified inspector(s) to
verify code compliance.
- The cost of the on-line permit is less than if applying in-person or using the "Submit
Permit Application" process.
- If your project is outside the scope of this contractor Trades Internet Permits
(TIP) online process, you may submit your project online through the regular "Submit
Permit Application" process that will use staff to process and issue your permit.